Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chopbiscuit recipes {that you'll probably never make} Grilled Eggplant Caprese with tomato and basil

Easy Caprese

We're getting about knee high into the late spring/early summer season so I thought I would make a little dish that gets you feeling all "Summa time". My better half made a similar recipe that blew me away, so I figured I would make it with a little chopbiscuit twist. One of my favorite things to grill is eggplant. Wash them down with a little olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper and throw 'em on the grill. It's the best thing since Breakin II: Electric Boogaloo. 

Grilled Eggplant Caprese with tomato and basil

1 medium eggplant
2 ripe beefsteak tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
10 fresh basil leaves
10 slices of unsalted fresh mozzarella


grill until nice and tender

Crank on your grill and set it to medium heat and preheat your oven to 425 F. Slice the eggplant and tomatoes crosswise into about 1/2 thick pieces and place on a plate.

In a small bowl combine the vinegar, salt, olive oil and cracked black pepper. Brush the mixture over the eggplant and tomato slices, then set the remainder aside. Grill the eggplant for about 6-8 minutes on each side while brushing them with more of the olive oil mixture. When the eggplant is cooked thoroughly they will be nice and tender. Place the grilled eggplant on a work surface and top with a tomato slice, basil leaf, slice of mozzarella, tomato slice, mozzarella and a slice of eggplant. Repeat these steps to make more stacks.


Place the stacks in the oven for about 5-6 minutes to soften the cheese and then top with a basil leaf and adrizzle of the olive-oil mixture. Place Breakin II Electric Boogaloo in your DVD player and/or VHS (if you're old school) and enjoy with a nice glass of Pinot Noir.

And for those of you whom have never seen the Breakin Sequel - you're welcome.



2 comments:

  1. You can never go wrong with caprese. I've never seen it done with eggplant though...good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these on Friday - they were delicious!! Even the kids liked them :)

    ReplyDelete