I like eating. It fascinates me. I sit and look at the food for hours. I often eat while laying down in my hotel room with a bib in my lap and my outlook calendar open. Eating is my tweeting, except it's much cooler. Food is often made into the celebrity of carnage, which makes us appear to be pompous and scarce in regards to the act of eating itself. You eat because you fuel. I eat because I'm hungry. I eat because it's my job. I go out to these establishments to consume their lineups.
I then judge it.
Searsucker
611 5th Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101
Travels last week brought me to the Left Coast. I've often heard, "The left side is the best side" - so
For dinner I started with some soft pretzels, ham and honey along some of his famous cheddar puffers. These were amazing, simplistic spins on snack items that created a very comfort food style aura for a great beginning to our dinner. I also ordered the strawberry, ricotta and sherry honey salad with some beef tartare, black crackers and quail yolk. This might have been the best beef tartare I have ever eaten. We washed our food down with some great Cabernet.
Outside of the great food , Searsucker has an incredible space and (according to their website) has teamed up with nationally acclaimed designer Thomas Schoos, whose past projects include Koi Restaurant, O-Bar, Huntley Hotel, and Tao, (the number one revenue generating restaurant in the country.) Schoos has taken the 7,000 square foot space and created a restaurant that is laid-back, comfortable and warm – yet classic. The design is not unlike the seersucker, a paradox in itself, a smooth and rough material, originally worn by the poor, then adopted by the rich and now accessible to all.
The space had a very organized and disheveled feel to it and created a sense of calm around our large communal table. So, if you're ever in San Diego - get all Ron Burgundy and class it up at Searsucker.
0 comments:
Post a Comment