Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chopbiscuit Preeminent Booze Review: Davidson Brothers India Pale Ale

I think it was the booze


We figured it's time to get back to our roots here at Chopbiscuit and contiunue the reviews of The World's Best draughts. We have poked fun at our favorite canned beers in some previous posts in the past, but utlimately we love the best in beer making. Whether it's a Belgium White, American Brown Ale, Japanese Rice lager or an oatmeal stout - WE LOVE BEER!

So, let's continue the exposition with our 3rd review.

Beer: Davidson Brothers India Pale Ale

Brewery:Davidson Brothers Brewing Company Glens Falls, NY

Beer Style description: English India Pale Ale

English IPA was first brewed in England and exported for the British troops in India during the late 1700s. To withstand the voyage, IPA's were basically tweaked Pale Ales that were much more malty and boasted a higher alcohol content and were well-hopped, as hops are a natural preservative. This boated well for long ass hauls across the Atlantic. Historians believe that an IPA was then watered down for the troops, while officers and the elite would savor the beer at full strength. *Damn those elitists! The English IPA has a lower alcohol due to taxation over the decades. The leaner the brew the less amount of malt there is and less need for a strong hop presence which would easily put the brew out of balance. Some brewers have tried to recreate the original IPA with strengths close to 8-9%, but rarely get that high.

Reviewer: Poncho Sinatra

I took my first trip to the Davidson Brothers Brewery in Glens Falls just after I moved to Saratoga Springs this fall. I was pleasantly surprised with the beer knowledge and the care that they put into their draughts.

What they say:

The Davidson Brothers IPA is a traditional IPA, using traditional aroma-filled hops, instead of the very bitter but less aromatic hops common among American IPAs. This is a very bitter beer, with a size able hop aroma and dry finish. The overall impression is of a hoppy, medium-bodied beer.

What I say:

Poured a 12oz bottle into a shaker pint on 01/3/010. Nice two finger head recedes to leave a thin white curtain over the top of the light, bright copper body. Highly carbonated. The smell is of some lighter malt, very subtle herbal hops, The taste is definitely a maltier IPA, as is more common in the English style, some herbal hops in the background - though I really had to reach to pull this out, some decent bittering, and some bubblegum/caramel sweetness, again from the diacetyl. This was medium/light bodied and a little over carbed for me.

I enjoyed this next to my lady friend on the couch while she watched The Real Housewive's of Orange County. I'm not saying that made the IPA taste better, or maybe I am?

Chopbiscuit Rating:

B-

0 comments:

Post a Comment