Monday, November 14, 2011

A restaurant will bankrupt you and/or make you rich - Daily Links

The Cost of Starting up a restaurant

Opening a restaurant isn't only logistically complicated, it can also be very costly. John Kunkel, who has opened 10 branches of the Mexican eatery Lime, explains the costs involved.

*I'm going to give this one a "no shit sherlock".

Meet Barley Wine, the beer that's never met a grape

Don't let barley wine's name throw you for a loop: The beer style has little in common with fermented grapes -- except for an alcohol content that can hit double digits. That explains why the thick, sometimes fruity, always strong belly-warming ale has become a signature sip for cold, chilly nights. But to suss out the style's genesis, we need to turn to 18th and 19th century Britain.

Bacon and zucchini tart (recipe - Daisy's World)

My zucchini plants are finally slowing down, and I think I’ve harvested the few remaining ones, so this will most likely be my last zucchini post for a while.  I never thought I’d cook as much zucchini as I have in the last couple of months and I’ve been very pleasantly surprised at how much I’ve enjoyed them.  This tart is no exception.  While it’s great for breakfast, this savoury tart is also great for a light supper, with a salad. Of course, omitting the bacon and using low-fat milk instead of whole milk and heavy cream will reduce the calories and make for a healthier meal.

Cheesy pumkin thyme crackers (recipe - from scratch club)

Easy to buy from a store, but boring when you do.  Here’s a great way to Do It Yourself when you’re prepping for holiday festivities.  You can go the predictable cracker route, but I wanted to try something a little different.  I found a couple recipes for crackers, but they mostly just called for cheesy flavors. I was inspired to create a cracker that would be more than just a bland slate for some sort of topping.  I wanted my crackers to be the showpiece, so I came up with Cheesy Pumpkin Thyme Crackers.

Why don't you let Natalie tell you that all the food you are eating will cause you a slow, physically debilitating death. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment