Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chopbiscuit Recipes: {Kick A**} Pickled Carrots


If you love pickles like I do, then make this really simple and tasty recipe. It's quick and Judy will be so happy that I'm finally posting this recipe. I made this for our annual Super Bowl Party last year and luckily I reserved a jar because they were gone fast.

Pickled Carrots
Carrots (I use purple carrots) 
Rice Vinegar - 1 Cup
Mirin - 1/4 Cup
Sugar - 1/2 Cup

Slice carrots about an eighth of an inch thick and fill some jars. I used three jars. (see above) Place ingredients in a small sauce pan and heat just until the sugar dissolves. Let the mixture cool slightly and pour evenly into each jar making sure you cover all of the carrots. Make sure it's not too hot, you don't want to cook your carrots. Let rest at room temp for a couple of hours before eating them and fridge whats left.

Here is the best news -  use any vegetable you want. Beets work amazing and so do eggs. Yep, eggs. If you are like my wife Sharon and I, these will not last more than a day or two in the fridge. If you eat them in the same day add some hard boiled eggs to the pickling brine, add some beets or the purple carrots in the jars for some nice Jerry Garcia colors. Groovy.

Be Well, Eat Well & Live Well!

1 comments: