Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chopbiscuit on the road: Share and share alike - Los Angeles style




Two weeks ago while in Los Angles for business I hooked up with with my good buddy and great chef David Bass. We headed over to one of his favorite restaurants The Lazy Ox Canteen in Little Tokyo for some killer grub. I was really excited to check out Chef Josef Centeno's food.  It was great to see that the place was PACKED! I got a little nervous (really I was super hungry and didn't feel like driving anywhere else...joking),  but we managed to be seated outside and it was a beautiful night in L.A.

I was trying to focus on the menu but all of this beautiful food kept coming out to tables around us made it really difficult to focus, but focus was super important because I wanted to be ready order when the waiter returned. With Bass' guidance and input he helped narrow it down to five menu items - yeah it was a light night for me. After reading the menu from top to bottom one item that I couldn't wait to devour was the burrato with heirloom tomatoes. This is the only time of year that I eat tomatoes so every chance I get they are on my plate and even more so this year because for the first time in years I'm not growing my own.

Here comes the waiter and the pressure mounts, with a couple of last minute changes I was ready.  Bring it on! First up I ordered the burrata with tomatoes and then the waiter stopped me... "I'm sorry but someone just ordered the last one, but the cauliflower would be a great substitute." WTF are you serious? I quietly thought to myself with a smile on my face. As if there is a sub for heirloom tomatoes in the prime of tomato season paired with melted burrata cheese. Ok, we will make the sub and I continued my order with hesitation after each selection. After regaining my thoughts and composure, Bass and I continued our conversation about our incredible families, food, travels and some of the great events our careers have taken us to.

Next to us was a young lady dinning alone and after a few minutes I couldn't help but notice that that little lady was eating the last of the tomatoes. For the next few minutes all I could think about was creating a distraction so I could steal a bite. Luckily, at that moment our food began to arrive beginning with the fried clams. Next thing you know she mentions "oh man I should have ordered those clams they look amazing, trade you a bite of the tomatoes for some clams"

Let the Sharing begin.

Now, we are all talking like old friends and sharing food and laughs. Our server, which happens to be her server, commented "Now this is what great food and dinning is all about" and even the manager came over with a big smile on his face and made a great comment.

Everything we ordered was amazing.  For me this is what life is all about, SHARING. Sharing your experiences, your passions and love for life. Because after it's all said and done these are the things you remember most. I will never forget this experience coupled with great food. For the life of me I can't remember her name but I do remember that she was from Seattle. I want to say to her in this post, THANKS! Thanks for sharing and thanks for not being afraid to share with total strangers. This is the great food you should expect at every restaurant, food in an environment that makes you feel so comfortable you forget about life's shitty moments and all of the challenges.  Lastly, that was the best cauliflower dish I have ever eaten in my life.

SHARE ON playa.

0 comments:

Post a Comment