Sunday, May 1, 2011

Chop Biscuit easy recipes: Whole grain crackers







My wife Sharon made an incredible soup Thursday night and we have been eating it all weekend, so I decided that we needed to add a little something special so it would seem like a whole new meal. I decided to make crackers because they are so easy to make plus I have been working in the yard all day. Now the best thing about making your own crackers is you can make them & top them with whatever you want. We love whole grains so I started with whole wheat flour and to give your cracker that snappy crack I added some semolina flour. And, because we love quinoa I grabbed some quinoa flour out of the cupboard and added that as well. The quinoa not only adds a great nutty flavor but it adds moisture to your baked goods. Quinoa is one of the only grains that is a complete protein and contains all of the amino acids your body needs. Below is the recipe so next time you have some hummus or great artichoke dip or if you have some great soup, don't buy crackers take a little time & have some fun making crackers.

Snappy Crackers with Romano cheese fresh thyme and cracked black pepper

Semolina flour 1.25 cup
Whole Wheat flour 1.5 cup
Quinoa flour .25 cup
warm water 1 cup
fine sea salt 1 teaspoon
Extra Virgin Olive oil 1/3rd cup

In a mixing bowl place the flours & salt and mix together with your hands. Add the remaining ingredients and using your mixer with the dough hook mix on low for 2 minutes, stop mixer and scrape the sides and make sure all of the flour is off the bottom of the bowl. On medium, continue to mix for 3-4 minutes. Dough should be slightly sticky, not too wet not too dry. Remove the dough and form into a big ass cookie. Cut into 12 equal portions roll into little balls and rub a little olive oil on each ball and place on a sheet pan (cookie sheet) and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let the balls rest at room temperature for approximately one hour. At the 30 minute mark preheat your oven to 425 degrees and if you have a pizza stone place it in the oven at this time.

Using a rolling pin, (I used my pasta machine) roll one of the dough balls to about 1/8th inch thick. I should look like a flat strip of dough. Cut the dough into any shape you want and place it on a baking sheet. Use a fork to poke little holes into each cracker and place in the oven and bake until golden brown -you want that snappy crispy cracker.  I topped mine with Romano Cheese, Fresh Thyme, Cracked Black Pepper and a touch of sea salt.  Have fun, play with food and enjoy life!

It's way too short to eat shitty food.

0 comments:

Post a Comment